Getting the exterior of your home ready for the cold winds and snow is critical for keeping it warm and toasty on the inside.
You can get your home ready before the first snowfall by doing these winter preparation tasks and repairs.
Windows & Doors
• Check all the weatherstripping around windows and doorframe for leaks to prevent heat loss.
• Check for drafts around windows and doors. Caulk inside and out where necessary.
Lawn, Garden & Deck
• Ensure rain or snow drains away from your home to avoid foundation problems.
• Clean, dry and put away patio furniture or cover with heavy tarp to protect it from the elements.
• Remove any attached hoses and store them away for the winter to prevent cracks and preserve their shape, and make sure the water is fully drained out.
• Inspect outdoor lighting around your property. Good illumination will help minimize the chance of accidents on icy walkways at night time.
• Bring plants back inside and continue giving water and sun.
Gutters, Roof and Drains
• Check for missing, damaged or warped shingles and replace as necessary.
• Clean gutters of any debris and re-secure if loose or sagging. The weight of snow and ice can pull gutters off the house.
• Clean the leaves and debris from storm drains to prevent blockages.
• Ensure all vents and openings are covered to prevent insects, birds and rodents from getting inside.